Churches & Monasteries
Churches in Skopje

Skopje

St. Spas (Holy Saviour)
The Church of St. Spas, in Skopje’s Old Town, was built in the later 17th and early 18th centuries known by its wood carved iconostasis with rich ornamentation made between 1819 and 1824. In the court yard is the tomb of the founder of the Macedonian liberation movement of 1903 Goce Delcev.

St. Panteleimon Nerezi
The 12th century church of St. Panteleimon in the village of Gorno Nerezi (10 km from the center) is one of the most important preserved Byzantine monument. The church was built in 1164 by Angelos Komnenos and was dedicated to St. Panteleimon, the protector of health. The monastery is known for its exceptional fresco paintings.


Churches in Ohrid

Ohrid

St. Sofia
The cathedral church of St. Sofia, the center of the Ohrid archiepiscopacy, with the largest preserved 11th century Byzantine frescos. Believed to have been built or rebuilt on the grounds of an early Christian basilica between the years 1035-1056, the church is one of the best representatives of Macedonian religious architecture.

St. Jovan Kaneo
The church that is overlooking the Ohrid Lake was dedicated to St. John the Theologian. The church was erected in the 13th century and has the layout of an inscribed cross covered by a dome, with distinct terracotta decoration on the façade.

Plaosnik
Located in Ohrid’s old town, Plaosnik is an utterly unique phenomenon: it was recently reconstructed, with loving attention to detail, precisely in the style of a Byzantine church, right down to the red bricks and mortar.An early Christian sacral building dating from the 5th century was discovered here, built over the remains of an older antique building whose cistern was found in the atrium of the newly built temple.Today, Plaosnik is one of the most exhilarating Byzantine-style churches in Macedonia. Its floor is covered with mosaics of twenty wave-shaped tassel interspersed with the figures of flowers, birds and animals. The very fact of its reconstruction is evidence of the strong affection Macedonians still feel for their Byzantine heritage.

St. Naum
The monastery complex with the church dedicated to the Holy Archangel Michael abd Gabriel is located on the south coast of Ohrid Lake and once was one of the wealthiest and most powerful spiritual centers in the Balkans. The original church and monastery was built in 900 by St. Naum a pilgrim and healing center in a church was beried St. Naum in 910, in a small beautiffuly frescoed chapel. St. Naum was one of the pupils of Kiril and Metodij. He was well known by the many miracles and by healing the people. The church was demolished during the ottoman period and later it was rebuilt – first the naos, than two domes. The fresco-painting was finished 1806, and the iconostasis in 1711. Here are the springs of river Crn Drim, the biggest springs on the Ohrid coast. The whole place is a special due to its rare natural beauty, the clear waters and the serenity it offers.


Churches in Struga

Struga

St. Holy Virgin Kaliste
The Holy Virgin Kaliste is a small, 15th century church built partially in a cave and dedicated to the Dormition of the Holy Virgin. The rest of the monastery complex is compised of inns, a new church and administrative residence. It is assumed that hermits used the cave church, which is adorned with frescoes.

Churches in Debar

Debar

St. Jovan Bigorski
The monastery is dedicated to St. Jovan the Forerunner. The monastery dates from the 18th and 19th centuries, with reconstruction dating from the 20th century. This center of spirituality is adorned with frescoes from the painters Mihail and Danail, Vasilie Ginoski and the most popular painter of the 19th century Dico Zograf. The wood carved iconostasis is the work of the masters Petre Filipovski and Makarie Frckovski. Within the monastery there is a gallery of icons and liturgical objects.

Churches in Resen

Resen

St. Georgi Kurbinovo
The small one aisle church from 1191 contains one of the most important painting achievements in Komneninan-Byzantine Art. The anonymous painters of this temple reached artistic perfection in their portrayal of elegant, elongated figures wearing fluttering garbs.

Churches in Kriva Palanka

Kriva Palanka

St. Joakim Osogovski
This church of St. Joakim Osogovski is located near Kriva Palanka on the slopes of the Osogovo mountains set among green woods. It was founded in the 12th century and many times during centuries. The church is known by it’s frescoes from the 19th century. The monastery complex has been an important religious, cultural and educational center. It consists of the church of St. Joachim Osogovski dedicated to the Holy Mother of God, a three-story dormitory, a bell tower with a charnel house at the bottom, a passage building, guardhouse, new dormitories and a residency of the Head of the Macedonian Orthodox Church. Art colonies, scientific gatherings, and seminars are regularly organized in this complex.

Churches in Prilep

Prilep

The church of the Holy Virgin, Monastery Treskavec
The monastery complex Treskavec, assembled from many edifices of different periods, is located on the mountain known as “Zlatovrv” (Golden peak) and has a panoramic view of the Pelagonian plain. The monastery dedicated to Holy Virgin is believed to have been erected in the 13th century, restored in the 14th century, and supplemented with a porch in the 19th century. The frescos in the church are from several periods, from the 14th and the latest from the mid 19th century, the work of artists from Krusevo. The monastery is known for its wood carved furnishing.